Re: [Denemo-devel] SharpEye, PhotoScore, and Denemo

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] SharpEye, PhotoScore, and Denemo
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 09:11:22 +0000

> Hello --
> Does anyone have any experience scanning a pdf using either
> SharpEye[1] or
> PhotoScore[2], and then importing the MusicXML

Use the MusicXML route, not MIDI (MIDI simply does not store the
information that has been scanned - e.g. e-flat or d-sharp ...)

>  or MIDI file into Denemo?  I
> would appreciate any comments or recommendations before I try their
> 30-day free trial.  Thank you.

The times that I have tried Music OCR I have always concluded that it
involves more work than transcribing from a PDF (I create a PDF from the
image of the score if needed - even if it is on paper, going down to the
copy shop and getting them to scan the pages to a file is worth it).

The reason has been that the error rate in the Music OCR means you have
to learn to correct errors, and I've always estimated that spotting and
correcting errors (even once the hurdle of learning how to use the
program to correct the errors has been surpassed) was going to exceed
the time needed to enter the music from the PDF. That estimate is based
on the use of rhythm-pattern/MIDI keyboard entry that Denemo allows.
Once learnt, this method approaches 2 * (real time per part). As a
bonus, this method is rather pleasant - you get to hear the music, and
practice its rhythm and your sight-reading skills. Spotting and
correcting errors, by contrast, is tedious as is entering notes by
typing their names and durations.

If the playing-in would involve an investment in learning to play a MIDI
keyboard (or other MIDI-enhanced instrument) then the trade-off might be
different.

HTH

Richard
p.s. Your email didn't reach the mailing list (yet?) - I'm not sure why.
If you subscribe it will arrive automatically - you can elect not to
receive mailings if you want that.