Re: [Denemo-devel] request for programming advice

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] request for programming advice
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2016 14:23:31 +0000

On Mon, 2016-11-07 at 14:48 +0100, bart deruyter wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I reply to you privatly, because I don't think it would add value to
> the lilypond discussion.

yes, the right place for this would be address@hidden which I'll
cc with this reply.

>  I understand that you are one of the developers of denemo.
>

> I think it would be very interesting to see these extension in denemo.
> I've already tried some of the menu 'educational' but for example the
> aural training tools don't work here.

I didn't write these (AFAIK!) but it would be a great help if you could
say what happens when you try (as usual, version number and operating
system would be good to know).

> I've tried denemo multiple times, to compare with frescobaldi as score
> editor but I am again and again scared off by it's complex gui. I
> don't easily find where what is, in which menu or submenu,

For recent versions of Denemo the Command Center search should be your
friend for this - again if you find something that you can't find via
the Command Center, I would like to know, as I can add keywords to make
the search work.

>  and yes there are shortcuts, keystrokes, but once i've come to that
> point, the courage to continue is long gone.
>

> For example, as I am writing now I am trying the 'identify line
> number' exercise, I want to get out of the exercise, but I don't know,
> or see how or even if I can exit the exercise.

You want to exit the exercise presumably to do something else - so
File->New should be good, or open a score or ... I think some of the
games have a Quit button, so that game is deficient - I've filed a bug
report for that.

>  So I close the app and restart it.. Not a good way to do so, but I
> don't see or find another way.
>

> But I am sure that if there is some real 'UX-design' done on denemo,
> it would be a really great application, it's possibilities are really
> huge, but it really needs a complete UX-re-design in my opinion.

It would require someone with skills in that area to step forward.

> Added with educational tools like these which are already in it, with
> counterpoint checks, voice-leading checks (also thinking about music
> dictation exercises 'see gnu-solfege') I'd be an every day user of
> it :-) .

If you have an idea for an educational task and can describe it quite
precisely I suspect there would be enthusiasm for creating the script to
do it.

best wishes,

Richard