Re: [Denemo-devel] export to music xml ?

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] export to music xml ?
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 15:27:13 +0100

On Sat, 2015-09-12 at 10:09 +0200, Isabelle Ramade wrote:
> Hi
> I am considering composing music and as a supporter of free software
> would like to find a wysiwyg music editor, importing and exporting in
> formats like midi lilypond and musicXML
> i have two questions :
>
> -is denemo wysiwyg ?

wysiwyg = What you see is what you get. The Print View window is what
you get, it is typeset by LilyPond in the background as you enter your
music in the Denemo Display window.
The Denemo Display window gives a simpler representation of the music
(wysisym) that can keep up with the speed with which you can play or
type music in.
Mostly this means that you don't have to drag things around to
re-position them as you do with MuseScore, LilyPond typesets them
properly. But on occasions you may need, and can do, graphical dragging
and re-shaping operations on the final typeset score.

So, in short, Denemo is a program for entering music into a computer so
that it can be typeset to the highest standards, rather than a drawing
program where you drag music notation about until it looks good and then
print.

> -for frescobaldi there is an exporter to musicxml but i did not find
> such mention for denemo
> could you please tell me if this is under development ?

That would be re-inventing the wheel: Denemo exports LilyPond format, so
any program that generates MusicXML from LilyPond will do that job.
Denemo *does* have its own internal MIDI generator, but it is really
just for checking the music by listening - again the LilyPond output can
be used to generate more sophisticated MIDI.

Richard