Re: [Denemo-devel] Problems opening Denemo

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Problems opening Denemo
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2015 08:55:54 +0100

On Tue, 2015-06-09 at 00:11 -0400, Linda Pan wrote:
> I have Yosemite. After trying about 6 more times it somehow magically
> worked for me and I got to write a few things. I've got another
> question though--how do I get the Denemo Print View to display all of
> the voice parts separately? I'm trying to write for a small a cappella
> group so I have separate lines for solo, soprano, alto, tenor and bass
> but the Denemo Print View mashes all of them onto one line which makes
> it very hard to read.

It sounds like you have created your alto tenor and bass voices so that
they appear in the display view as voices attached to the Soprano staff.

What you want is that they are on separate staffs, so for each of those
use Staffs/Voices->Voices->Voice to Staff to change them from what
Denemo calls a voice (that is, something that typesets on the same staff
as another voice) into what Denemo calls a Staff (that is, something
with its own clef, staff-lines, time-signature etc etc).

An alternative layout is two voices on one staff, two on another - you
need to put in directives using alt-v to specify which voice should be
stem up and which stem down. In more complicated cases you do need more
than two voices on one staff, there is an example of this in  the
examples (Open->Open Example, choose KeyboardPolyphony.denemo)

> I'd appreciate any advice since I'm super not techie and am not trying
> to do anything fancy.
Yes, it is the usual problem, because Denemo can typeset extremely
complicated scores it can be easy to create something more complex than
you wanted. There are some templates that would have helped here
(Open->Open Template and then for your case you could have chose
SATB-Piano.denemo and deleted the piano part).

>  Apologies if you are not the person to ask about this; please tell me
> who I could bother instead.

Asking on the list is just fine.

Richard