Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo User Manual

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo User Manual
Date: Wed, 06 May 2015 16:57:12 +0100

On Tue, 2015-05-05 at 17:15 -0400, Cantor Stuart Binder wrote:
> I have begun looking into creating a texinfo version of the Denemo User
> Manual.
I see that this is the official GNU thing to do ...
>  My goal is to get around some of the quirks of docbook,

I haven't paid much attention to what docbook does - what is it that
texinfo does better? I *have* noticed that more-or-less every time I
upgrade the O/S the docbook command I use to generate the html has
changed and I have to ask for help. But on the plus side, when I put in
a new section I see it appears in the contents at the top - I don't have
to type anything special to say that is what I want ...

>  but still maintain the ability to generate multiple output formats
> (including docbook).
I just had a rummage around, and it is not obvious how you would
generate pdf from docbook ...
>  If anybody thinks this is a horrible idea, please let me know and I'll stop
> before I invest too much effort
>  in the conversion.

... and I followed the links and tried the program that should have
converted our denemomanual.xml to texinfo, and that failed ...

It all looks a bit like a swamp. Anything that makes life easier is
welcome!