Re: [Denemo-devel] cues and beaming

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] cues and beaming
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 18:10:13 +0000

On Wed, 2015-03-04 at 12:38 -0500, Ellen Schwindt wrote:
> Hello Richard and all,
>
>     I'm using Denemo 1.2.1 downloaded from Jeremiah's directory on
> January 25th. The file is actually called denemo-0.0.0-0.mingw. And
> today I installed Richard's new install cue script.
>

> My question is about beaming in cues. The example attached shows that
> the beaming doesn't always carry through. Can you explain?

Yes. Your cue is placed around a quarter-note and a dotted-eighth note
rest, but the cued music has four eighth notes, so doesn't end at the
end of the cued duration. It would seem that LilyPond has only picked up
the three eighth notes that do fit inside the cued duration, and then it
has to beam those, which it decides should be un-beamed. So, it looks
like the cued music needs to be complete enough to have the beaming
rules apply to it.

> Another cue issue is where the rests for the primary part appear--can
> you choose to have them appear ABOVE the cue notes? Can you choose to
> hide them?

You can adjust their positions using Notes/Rests->Rest
Insertion->Displace Rest Vertically. This moves the rest to the line
where the cursor is, though LilyPond may move it further if it thinks
more space is needed.

> The cue function is great--just trying to find its limits

Thanks for exploring this.