Re: [Denemo-devel] binreloc for mingw builds?

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] binreloc for mingw builds?
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 18:39:44 +0000

This is the message that (should have) crossed in the ether with yours,
but, despite being in my Sent folder it hasn't appeared on the
denemo-devel list, so in case you didn't get it, I'm re-sending it ...

Richard

On Sat, 2015-01-17 at 11:19 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> I placed a copy of the source for regfont in ~/jjbenham/gub/uploads.

I was just looking at it. It turns out that his code is very like ours
in utils.c but it has an extra call - regfont code has

void addFonts (int n, char **files) {
  int i = 0;
  for ( ; i < n; i++) {
    if (AddFontResource (files[i]) == 0)
      printf ("Error adding %s\n", files[i]);
    else
      printf ("Successfully added font %s\n", files[i]);
  }
  SendMessage (HWND_BROADCAST, WM_FONTCHANGE, 0, 0);
}

ours just has the AddFontResource() call without the SendMessage()
I've just pushed this extra call so we should be able to do without that
utility now.
I've also tested the zip file from today - the Denemo.bat needed
tweaking (the -a is in the wrong place, and I needed to repeat it for
the Denemo.ttf and emmentaler.ttf fonts) but it works, and I tested its
ability to switch LilyPond path if the USB stick is assigned a different
windows drive name (I only got to test this once, because windows
persisted in giving the same drive name whichever order I plugged the
devices in, it seemed to have "learned" !???!!).

If you build Denemo again from latest git we should be able to drop the
regfont utility from the Denemo.bat launch script, as I've incorporated
its code into utils.c

I think we may have to offer two versions though :(
The installer creates a windows shortcut on the user's desktop, which is
what windows users expect. That wouldn't work if the installation was on
a memory stick which might later appear as a different drive letter.

The zip file requires a somewhat more sophisticated user who will
extract the files and then click on the Denemo.bat file. But it will be
valued by folk who can't or don't want to install anything on their
computer.

But the good news is that there should no longer be a need to re-boot
after installing via the mingw .exe file.

Richard