Re: [Denemo-devel] Enterein notes with the PC keyboard ala Coda Finale

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Enterein notes with the PC keyboard ala Coda Finale
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 13:10:03 +0000

On Mon, 2015-01-05 at 12:37 +0100, Lars Henrik Ørn wrote:
> Hey
>
> First a big Thank You for denemo. It looks wery promising.
>
> I am a new user. I have been using Finale for more than 15 years. I have
> in some years followed the development of Denemo, because I am mostly
> using Open Source software, and denemo looks like (together with
> Liypond) as the most advanced program for good reliable and beautiful
> output.
>
> I like the idea of entering the rythm first and then adding the notes
> with a keyboard it might be the fastest way I have ever seen.
... and it is a musical way. That is, you are entering rhythms
rhythmically and playing the notes in musical time too.
>  But we are
> already using a computer keyboard so in my opinion we do not need an
> external midi keyboard.

Certainly we do not need it in Denemo, for many years it was not an
option.

>  Instead (as with Finale) use the computer
> keyboard for three octaves defined with
>
> qwertyu
> asdfghj
> zxcvbnm
>
> maybe in combination with caps lock to enter the notes. It could also be
> possible to add more octaves with ctrl up/or down. This will save space
> on the table, and make it working in many situations where I dont have a
> keyboard.

For this you need to create commands to enter specific notes, such as
c'' - the commands in the menus at present only do such things as "Enter
the nearest C to the cursor". These commands would be fairly easy to
write and then you could give them the shortcuts you wish.
for example the script to move the cursor to middle c (that is c'' in
LilyPond notation) is

(d-CursorToNote "c''")

So the script to insert a middle C quarter note would be

(d-CursorToNote "c''")
(d-Insert2)

or another example

(d-CursorToNote "e")
(d-PutNote)

would insert the note e in the prevailing duration. (If you have
previous pressed + or - you will get the note sharpened or flattened).

You place scripts like these in the View->Scheme window and then right
click on a place in the menu system where you would like to create a new
command that executes the script (choose Save Script as New Menu Item).
You get to choose to put these in a sub-menu, (a good idea), and once
there you can assign short cuts as usual.

HTH

Richard