Re: [Denemo-devel] how to put in expressions like rubato

From: Ellen Schwindt
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] how to put in expressions like rubato
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 08:30:19 -0400

Dear Richard,

These are some questions I've accrued as I've used Denemo to make some chamber music scores. If you can answer them, I'll try to put them into pretty English in case you want to post them.

Thank you!

-Ellen

I've noticed a “husky” sound when putting in pitches from my midi keyboard whenever Denemo decides on an enharmonic spelling I don't want. If Denemo knows that it spelled the note wrong, why doesn't it spell it correctly? What command am I missing here?

Ties

How do I manipulate the ties in a chord individually? Say I have a chord stacked from the bottom of

C E G and I want to tie the C, but not the E and G—what do I do?

What about multiple voices in one staff? In piano music you often need to indicate multiple voices with up or down stems or with layers (that's what finale uses). How do you achieve this in Denemo?

If you ever make a general advice sort-of document for new users—NOT using A B C D E F or G for commands is good advice! (duh) :)

Another hint—if you wind up with uneven measures at the end of a piece it means that somewhere there is a measure with incorrectly filled time.

Can I control how the time signatures look in print view? I wanted my music to say 2 2 time, not cut time, but it prints as cut time. How do I change it?

Key Signatures:

I made a score in the key of F sharp major. The key signature shows up in input view. But when I ask the program to typeset the music, it doesn't print the key signature and instead prints each sharp as an accidental. My violinists will mutiny! What do I do to have the key signature print? I tried toggling between print and hide under the Key menu and that did not change it.