Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo 1.1.6 Release

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo 1.1.6 Release
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2014 11:43:36 +0100

Hi,
>  I downloaded the latest version of Denemo (1.1.6.) on my 64 bit
> Windows 7 Home Premium Edition machine and wrote a single staff voice
> just to make practice. The music has a repeat volta 1 and a repeat
> volta 2 in the middle of the piece both spanning over two measures;
> while the repeat volta 1 spans the line as intended, the repeat volta
> 2 line spans over multiple measures. Is there a way to tell Denemo how
> many measures a repeat volta should include? I looked around the menus
> but haven't found any clue. Thanks for your time and for developing
> Denemo.

The usual shortcuts are as follows

r,1         --- inserts the start of a first time bar or bars
r,e         --- inserts the end of the first or second time bars already
started
r,2         --- inserts the start of a second time bar or bars

Then you will want to insert repeat barlines, e.g.

Shift-B,e    --- insert a repeat end barline
Shift-B,s    --- insert a repeat start barline

Note that what LilyPond typesets depends on various subtleties - it will
split a two way repeat barline, for example, if it occurs at the end of
the line, so that the repeat end is at the end of the line and the
repeat start at the start of the new line. And it will show or not show
things like the end of the repeated section depending on the best music
typesetting practice - it doesn't blindly typeset what you enter. This
is called WYSISYM ... So you can't for example think "I'll just test out
the repeat end marker by putting one in a score on its own", as on its
own it doesn't mean anything, and so nothing will be typeset.

The actual commands are in Directives->Markings->Inserting Barlines menu
(for the barlines) and Directives->Markings->Spanning menu (for the
first & second time marks, which can span many bars, or part of a bar).

There is a convenience command that inserts all you need for a simple
first and second time bar case - you can start from that and then insert
extra bars between the start first time and end n'th time. And a command
for n'th time bars, where you can put any text needed.

And all these commands are gathered together in palettes
(View->Palettes) called "Repeats" and "Barlines". You can move these all
into a single palette and dock it in your main window if you wish, and
add any other commands to them.
I've sent this reply to the mailing list, as if you had to ask, I'm sure
there are others listening who would like to know.

HTH