Re: [Denemo-devel] About shortcuts and command files

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] About shortcuts and command files
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 15:05:56 +0100

On Fri, 2013-07-19 at 11:44 +0200, Éloi Rivard wrote:
> When the program starts, all shortcuts are loaded. There is nothing
> lazy here, isn't it ?
correct, there is no lazy evaluation of shortcuts.

> I would like to merge .shortcuts into .commands since a shortcut
> profile is often associated with a command profile

we have stopped using the profile mechanism that would load a
different .commands and .shortcuts file, because, in practice no-one
tested anything other than their own profile, so in particular the
default simple profile would be broken.
As I mentioned, we split commands and shortcuts apart because shortcuts
are small files which could be loaded during the use of the program,
while the commands file is large and will get ever larger as new areas
of music notation are added. Eventually, I guess we will not want load
all commands at startup, as there will be so many, but for now we do and
even on a fast machine it takes a little time. If an educational game
wanted to load a set of shortcuts for playing the game, we would not
want to load the entire command set again. But, at the moment I am not
sure this mechanism is in use, and really a comprehensive, future-proof
design is needed.
Simply lurching back to the way it was before with commands and
shortcuts all in one file doesn't sound good. We ran into problems and
so I split them apart.

Richard