Re: [Denemo-devel] Titles

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Titles
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2013 16:38:59 +0000

On Sun, 2013-02-03 at 15:01 +0100, Federico Bruni wrote:
> Il 03/02/2013 12:23, Richard Shann ha scritto:
> > Simple Titles are done by fighting LilyPond - what Denemo calls the
> > Title for the score is to LilyPond the title field in the first
> > movement, and what Denemo calls the title for the movement is the
> > subtitle field (and then a variable called print-all-headers is set
> > true). I don't know if a better way could be set up.
>
> IIUC (looking at lilypond input generated by Denemo), what Denemo
> calls
> movement is a \score block.
Yes, in the user-facing language Denemo refers to the unit of work which
it saves to disk as a .denemo file as a Score, and it comprises several
movements each of which corresponds to a LilyPond \score{} block.
Internally, Denemo still uses a structure which reflects LilyPond's
name, but I try to stop this leaking out to the user world, since the
normal meaning of a music score in English is what LilyPond calls a book
(e.g. one talks of the score of a symphony, not the book containing the
scores of the movements).

>  Denemo places the title of the score outside
> the score block,
Can you look again - attached is the output of a two movement Denemo
score with simple titles used for score title and movement titles.
Only the tagline appears in a header outside \score blocks; the score
title is put as the title= value in \header{} block inside the first
movement's \score{} block. The movement titles are subtitle= fields in
the \header{} blocks inside the \score{} blocks of each movement.
I arrived at this crazy-looking arrangement after struggling with the
LilyPond syntax (it may have changed since). It has the horrid
consequence that if someone inserts a movement before the one with the
title for the score then that title= field is in the \header{} block of
the wrong movement. (Hence Andreas's email).

On a quick glance, it looks like your sample does what is wanted in a
simple, easy-to-implement fashion; either this will prove not to be so
on closer inspection, or the current Denemo output could be simplified
with good effect. I'll try and find some time to look into this.

I attach the Denemo lilypond output I am referring to, unfortunately it
is obscured by the links put into the titles to enable wysiwyg
operations to be done by clicking on the typeset pdf - these will need
to be made optional for people who want to have clean LilyPond output
for editing (indeed, the formatting needs more work too for that).