[Denemo-devel] Re: Tablature

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Re: Tablature
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 07:53:24 +0000

Yes, mostly what you described should have worked, or at least roughly
what you described should have.
Just putting the file there isn't enough, I am already anticipating
thousands of such files so menus would get impossible if everything was
automatically picked up. I suspect it might be various file name
glitches (/usr/local vs /usr, the name of the file mis-matching the
command name, typos ...)

So having installed the file in the right menu folder, you would have to
do More commands from a right click inside the menu you wanted more
commands for (quirks still in there too I'm afraid, IIRC, it has to be a
scripted command).
But picking it up using the More commands from the Main Menu should have
worked - you would then need to save your command set which you should
get offered to do.
Anyway, as it is in git, you can now do the Update Commands from the
Internet, which should get you the new command.
And another route for any piece of scheme that you have - right click in
the menu where you want to put it, then choose Save Script as New Menu
Item and that will take you through creating a new command for your
script. You would use this for the \<string number> commands you may
need to go with the basic tab generation command, to customize the
string selection.

On Tue, 2010-11-30 at 22:17 -0800, Ken Restivo wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 12:12:05PM +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> > Printing tablature is very easy from Denemo:
> >
> > http://denemo.org/index.php/Tablature
> >
> > I have put a command to go in the Staff menu on that page. This is
> > highly minimal - to modify the string that a note should appear on you
> > would need a command like the string number one but issuing \<number>
> > instead of -<number>, again trivial. No savannah else I would push this
> > to git.
>

> Thanks! Manually running the script from the Scheme window works, thanks, I
> have tab now!
>
> But, trying to add the command does not work.
>
> I put the TabStaff file from the wiki into
> /usr/share/denemo/actions/menus/ObjectMenu/StaffMenu/TabStaff, but it's not
> showing up in the Staff menu, even after saving commands and restarting.
>
> I notice that the code on the wiki says "<after>TinyStaff</after>" but there
> is no TinyStaff on my Denemo (git version from 2010-11-22).  There is a
> SmallerStaff, though. Changing TinyStaff to SmallerStaff in the TabStaff file
> still doesn't make it show up though.
>
> So I tried loading the command file from the menu in the GUI, and it
> complained that it "Could not load command set file", which I thought odd
> because it wasn't a command set
Denemo doesn't know that - one command or a whole set, its the same to
this dumb program :)

Richard