Re: [Denemo-devel] Edit Mode

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Edit Mode
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 14:50:31 +0100

I have been short-changing the chording community here. In this new,
shortly to be universal mode, it takes two keypresses to add a note to a
chord (move cursor, enter note). Well, actually, this is nothing new -
AFAIK it takes two presses in any current mode to enter notes into a
chord.
The Good News is that I think I have got to grips with this at last.
We are missing a set of built-ins

d-AddA, d-AddB, d-AddC....

which do the move to A, B, C ... and the enter note in chord.

The keybindings I suggest are

a, b, c... edit the note under the cursor, or append a note (of current
duration) if cursor is appending (command is (d-A...) in universal
(formerly edit) mode.

Shift-a, Shift-b, Shift-c... Shift the cursor to the note (command is
d-MoveToA...)

Alt-a, Alt-b, Alt-c, Enter the note into the chord at the cursor (or the
chord before before the cursor if the cursor is in the appending
position, to allow for continuous entry) (command is d-AddA..., this
needs to be created)

CapsLock-a, CapsLock-b, CapsLock-c, Insert a note before the cursor.
This makes CapsLock effectively a mode-switch, switching to insert mode
which is ok, as it is understood by keyboard users to be a mode key
(affecting subsequent keystrokes until turned off - usually a light is
on to tell you). It is not possible to use this at the moment, because
(with the best of intentions) JRR made caps lock and shift merge, as in
word-processing. These shortcuts are actually labeled (by GTK) as A, B,
C... rather than CapsLock-a, etc. (which is ok). (command is
d-InsertA...)

0,1,2...  edit the duration of the note at the cursor or if cursor is
appending: append a note of given duration (command is d-0... in the
universal, formerly Edit, mode)

KP_0, KP_1, KP_2... enter a rhythm-only note of given duration. Keypads
are not universal, so those without would need to set their own
shortcuts.

Alt-0, Alt-1, Alt-2... Enter a rest (also Alt-KP_0 etc do the same for
when entering rhythm-only on numeric keypad. This means that a
non-printing rest would require two key presses, e.g. KP-0 followed by
Ctrl-Enter. If rhythm only notes were not needed, then this could just
be KP-0)

I don't propose any key shortcuts for bulk entering of rests; they can
be done by holding down Alt key while entering the rests; with the
numeric keypad the rest entry is single-handed anyway, and the
non-printing rests just mean holding down the Alt key while entering
them. Of course, there is no intention of preventing people using the
old modes - a preference can be ticked to bring back the mode menu.

Richard