[Denemo-devel] 'make install' to non-system area bombs in /etc/denemo

From: Robert M. Riches Jr.
Subject: [Denemo-devel] 'make install' to non-system area bombs in /etc/denemo
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 17:32:27 -0800

In order to test multiple versions of Denemo without having
to uninstall a known-good version other users are using, I
tried installing Denemo into a non-system area under my home
directory.  The "make install" (as myself, not as root) failed
when it tried to remove the old /etc/denemo/denemo.conf from
the system-wide /etc area.

Having compiled Firefox and Wine into their own areas under
my home directory, I am a bit surprised Denemo doesn't allow
someone compiling from source to either run it from the area
where it was compiled or to install it to a non-system area
without requiring root.  That would greatly simplify experimental
application of patches and such and testing of new versions
without disturbing a version some other user might be using.

Is there some way this could be done?  Should I submit a bug
report asking for this feature?

Thanks,

Robert Riches
address@hidden