Re: [Denemo-devel] Compilation on Ubuntu Karmic

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Compilation on Ubuntu Karmic
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 19:27:57 +0000

On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 20:25 +0100, Pietro Battiston wrote:
> Il giorno lun, 15/02/2010 alle 18.58 +0000, Richard Shann ha scritto:
> > On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 19:27 +0100, Pietro Battiston wrote:
> > >
> > > Richard, I certainly have no competence to teach you about Denemo, but
> > > I'm 100% sure that I compiled with no particular options and I'm
> > > currently able to use denemo through jack (yes, seeing it appearing in
> > > qjackctl for instance, and all those wonderful things). I was wrong only
> > > in the fact that (as reported in a previous email) this happens with
> > > FluidSynth, not portaudio.
> > >
> > > Notice however that I only see output audio channels, not MIDI ones...
> > > is this what you're referring to?
> >
> > yes MIDI clients is what I was referring to - I didn't know about
> > fluidsynth talking to JACK as purely audio.
> >
> > This is the important bit: without --enable-jack you don't get "all
> > those wonderful things". You just get things created on the fly by
> > fluidsynth (so if you add a new staff, where does its output go? etc).
> > With --enable-jack you get a "device manager" turning up. It lets you
> > name and define clients, and in the staff prefs you can assign them and
> > so on. I don't know the details here (I don't do this sort of thing) but
> > I am told this is good stuff - you set up your orchestra in the device
> > manager and then you can open up your score and have it connect to all
> > the right devices on the other side of JACK. There is a whole bunch of
> > stuff there that is quite a step forward in available technology.
>
> OK, now I see, sorry for the confusion... this seems indeed great, and
> automatically invalids everything I have said about the (non)
> opportunity of creating different denemo packages.
I understand now why you say this - non-jack users will not want the
jack dependency...

> Still, when you wrote it is possible to "build it with jack enabled, but
> avoid it default to using it", did you mean that denemo compiled with
> jack (MIDI output) running in a system with no jack (not even libraries)
> will work if the runtime options are set accordingly?
that I don't know, but I guess not, so I guess we do need to think about
separate packages after all; however, they do install mostly the same
files. One thing, you would never need both: you could do everything
with the jack enabled package, and everything except midi jack with the
other.

> Finally: apart from possibly changing the default, may I suggest
> replacing "use JACK [default=no]" with something slightly more
> explicative (such as "use JACK MIDI ouptut") in the configure script?

Jeremiah, does "use JACK [default=no]" refer only to JACK midi out (and
in)?