Re: [Denemo-devel] Compilation on Ubuntu Karmic

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Compilation on Ubuntu Karmic
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 16:34:16 +0000

On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 10:55 +0100, Pietro Battiston wrote:
> Il giorno lun, 15/02/2010 alle 09.08 +0000, Richard Shann ha scritto:
> > > Still, in my opinion, the current situation is not terrible, I will just
> > > change the default.
> > ?? can that be done at packaging stage? (That is, you will build the
> > executable with jack and fluidsynth enabled and then get it to start
> > doing output to fluidsynth by default, ignoring jack???)
>
> Uhm... well, that's what is happening now, though I admit I totally
> ignore the details.

I think that would be ok. Those who use jack have to set things up, and
so setting the Denemo prefs to use jack would be expected by them.
However ...

> The package I will soon push to debian, compiled with all default
> options, patched only to change the default audio driver and midi/audio
> output (see attachment), runs by default with portaudio and pulseaudio;
> then, if the user runs jackd and selects "jack" as audio driver (and
> restarts), it uses jack.
This I don't understand. I start with a simple Debian Stable
installation. If I set pulseaudio in the prefs I hear nothing - the
output is

fluidsynth: error: Couldn't find the requested audio driver: pulseaudio

 I hear things if I set oss. So it seems that a naive user installing
the denemo package and just starting denemo will hear no output unless
he has installed pulseaudio (whatever that is). Perhaps when I set oss I
am getting a side effect of some package that I have installed for some
other reason?
Also, just reading your patch, it seems that the lines

 #ifdef _HAVE_JACK_
   ret->midi_audio_output = Jack;
 #endif

have been left in and (as you have compiled with --enable-jack) I would
have thought it would default to Jack midi output.

It is quite alright to ignore all my comments if I am just barking up
the wrong tree. I am really quite lost in this deluge of drivers and
outputs and so on. If you are happy that someone installing and running
denemo will get something working straight away then I am sure that is
fine.