Re: [Denemo-devel] (new subscriber) Any way to record from MIDI device

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] (new subscriber) Any way to record from MIDI device
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 14:27:24 -0600

On Feb 13, 2010, at 1:45 PM, address@hidden (Robert M. Riches Jr.) wrote:

To get the snapshot, I went to Developer -> Sourcecode and
clicked the link "A snapshot tarball":

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/denemo.git/snapshot/denemo-master.tar.gz

Thanks. I will see if I can find out what is going on here.

Earlier, you or someone else had mentioned that a MIDI file
must be quantized.  Does that mean the note times and lengths
must be snapped to an appropriate fraction of a beat?

You are correct. So if a quarter note last 384 ticks but you have a note that comes in on tick 2 and off at tick 389. Mathematicly this is larger than a quater note. The quantizer would move the start time to tick 0 and change the time off to be 384. If the note is 200 ticks long it is closer to resembling an eigth note of 194 ticks. The quantizer adjusts for this.

Is
there a best-known-method for doing that from a raw MIDI file
produced by arecordmidi?

Midi2ly does it bit it exports to lilypond. You can borrow it's code if you know python. My python is rusty at the moment. There may be others but there is not a standalone midi quantizer that I know of. It should be easy to write one.

Also, the change you mentioned, commenting out one line of
code: can that be applied manually to 0.8.12?  Could you send
a diff or file name and line number?

Search for the function call to set_lily_name() in importmidi.c. Comment it out.

Thanks,

Robert Riches
address@hidden