Re: [Denemo-devel] Windows Build 0.8.13 and Menucleaning

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Windows Build 0.8.13 and Menucleaning
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 09:24:39 +0000

On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 19:58 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:

> On Feb 1, 2010, at 4:17 PM, Nils <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Gub from today, but not latest git.
> >
> > http://www.nilsgey.de/denemo-0.0.0-0.mingw.exe
> >

> Why is called 0.0.0-0? Is this auto generated. Is this name created by
> autotools.
>
> > Richard had problems to install it, but it worked for me. I also
> > asked a friend to download it, too, and installation went well
> > (technically).
> > Richard, maybe you had a corrupt download? Tried with a Download
> > Manager?
> >
> > Bad News:
> > In current state the Windowsversion is not usable.
> >
> > Good things first:
> > -Sound/Fluid worked out of the box. On my Windows (Inside a virtual
> > maschine) it was distorted the usual way, but that is really really
> > a low-spec system. On my friends pc it worked fine.
> >
> > -The font is not installed or whatever: You see letters and symbols,
> > but not Notation. Even after logging out and in it does not work.
>
> We had this problem once before with the font not being installed on
> windows. Does anyone know what caused it and how the issue was resolved?

That was the font denemo.ttf that is used for labelling some menus. We
have a new one fetta.ttf which is the main drawing for all the music,
clefs etc. So gub needs updating.
We will likely still have the same problem of having to re-boot to get
it working.

> > -The paths are wrong. PDF Export and Print Preview leads to a
> > straight crash out of the box. The standard lily-binary is "lilypond-
> > windows" there. This seems to be wrong or not enough.
this would seem to be a regression in gub.

> > -Zoom does work, but only after restarting.
??? sounds like a confusion
>  This version did not
> > have ctrl+wheel in it.
> >

> > A General Note, for Windows and Linux:
> >
> > There are many external apps defined in Denemos Preferences. Most of
> > them seem to be useless or at least old and of hidden functionality.
> > This leads to confusion.
> >
> > Lilypond, PDF Viewer and Browser are of course needed and in use.
> > Default Save path is good, too.
> >
> > But Image Viewer,
>
> Image viewer is used for viewing excerpts.
>
> > Text Editor,
>
> Text editor is not used. I will remove it. It was originally placed
> there with the intention of exporting lilypond, csounds or other to
> text editor.
actually, I think it was for editing the lilypond which was then read
back in to denemo, but it should go.

> > Midi Player
>
> Midi player is needed if someone created a minimalistic denemo
that is built without fluidsynth.
>  and
> then wanted to hear the final output. Arguably you could say that if
> we take this out we could also take out exportmidi for a minimalistic
> build.
there is nothing much there to take out - exportmidi creates the MIDI,
and optionally a midi file (e.g. as in the export midi file command). It
is the playback.c where we could strip out spawning the external player
on the midi file in ~/.denemo
but then people would have to use fluidsynth, which is an additional
dependency...

> > and Audio Player seem to be useless now.
>
> Audio player was meant to playback audio files rendered by csounds. It
> could probably go. It was used for things that could not be performed
> in real time.
>
> > I guess Image and Text are very old, and Midi and Audio are not
> > needed anymore since we have Fluid and Jack.
>
> I doubt anyone is calling the audio player from denemo so I guess we
> can remove that.
>From what you say, this is equivalent to dropping C-sound? I know
nothing about C-sound.

> > Sidenote: What about C-Sound? Is anyone interested in this anymore?
>
> I am interested in it but have not have time to execute to work on it.
> I was considering removing the field and exportcsound and csound
> playback support then rewrite it in scheme.
>
> > There is a C-Sound Dialog, quite prominently, in "Playback
> > Properties".
> >
> > Playback Properties could be deleted and the only useful thing, the
> > default midi playback tempo, can be moved to general prefs and
> > please set to 120 instead of 60.
>
> Where would we put it in general prefernces?
I don't think it needs to be a preference. Perhaps there should be a
movement property to give the tempo. Which would be a menu item Tempo
that would set the value, and the default could be 60 or 120 as people
think best.

Richard