Re: [Denemo-devel] Windows Build 0.8.13 and Menucleaning

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Windows Build 0.8.13 and Menucleaning
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 19:58:28 -0600

On Feb 1, 2010, at 4:17 PM, Nils <address@hidden> wrote:

Gub from today, but not latest git.

http://www.nilsgey.de/denemo-0.0.0-0.mingw.exe

Why is called 0.0.0-0? Is this auto generated. Is this name created by autotools.

Richard had problems to install it, but it worked for me. I also asked a friend to download it, too, and installation went well (technically). Richard, maybe you had a corrupt download? Tried with a Download Manager?

Bad News:
In current state the Windowsversion is not usable.

Good things first:
-Sound/Fluid worked out of the box. On my Windows (Inside a virtual maschine) it was distorted the usual way, but that is really really a low-spec system. On my friends pc it worked fine.

-The font is not installed or whatever: You see letters and symbols, but not Notation. Even after logging out and in it does not work.

We had this problem once before with the font not being installed on windows. Does anyone know what caused it and how the issue was resolved?

-The paths are wrong. PDF Export and Print Preview leads to a straight crash out of the box. The standard lily-binary is "lilypond- windows" there. This seems to be wrong or not enough.

-Zoom does work, but only after restarting. This version did not have ctrl+wheel in it.

A General Note, for Windows and Linux:

There are many external apps defined in Denemos Preferences. Most of them seem to be useless or at least old and of hidden functionality. This leads to confusion.

Lilypond, PDF Viewer and Browser are of course needed and in use. Default Save path is good, too.

But Image Viewer,

Image viewer is used for viewing excerpts.

Text Editor,

Text editor is not used. I will remove it. It was originally placed there with the intention of exporting lilypond, csounds or other to text editor.

Midi Player

Midi player is needed if someone created a minimalistic denemo and then wanted to hear the final output. Arguably you could say that if we take this out we could also take out exportmidi for a minimalistic build.

and Audio Player seem to be useless now.

Audio player was meant to playback audio files rendered by csounds. It could probably go. It was used for things that could not be performed in real time.

I guess Image and Text are very old, and Midi and Audio are not needed anymore since we have Fluid and Jack.

I doubt anyone is calling the audio player from denemo so I guess we can remove that.

Sidenote: What about C-Sound? Is anyone interested in this anymore?

I am interested in it but have not have time to execute to work on it. I was considering removing the field and exportcsound and csound playback support then rewrite it in scheme.

There is a C-Sound Dialog, quite prominently, in "Playback Properties".

Playback Properties could be deleted and the only useful thing, the default midi playback tempo, can be moved to general prefs and please set to 120 instead of 60.

Where would we put it in general prefernces?

Jeremiah

Nils