Re: [Denemo-devel] Midi input via Fluidsynth is broken

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Midi input via Fluidsynth is broken
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 19:13:55 +0000

On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 12:10 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> > You *can* use Edit mode with a MIDI filter to get cursor advance,
> > which
> > you would do if you found the audible feedback for rhythm switching
> > annoying.
>
> I am confused. What does audio feedback have to do with input midi
> filter to advance the cursor?

There are two things here: there is an "entry mode" which I have
labelled

Mode->Audible Feedback\nInsert Duration/Edit Note

and there is the Immediate Feedback checkbox in prefs.

The entry mode is for me the best thing about Denemo, but I have had
difficulty in giving it a simple label. In that mode duration keys enter
notes that are colored: it means they have no pitch, and they will not
print. Pressing a note-name turns them into notes, as does a MIDI key.
Even better, when you play a MIDI key to give such a no-pitch note its
pitch the cursor auto-advances, so you can play the piece over its
rhythms if you have played those in first. The audible feedback bit of
the name refers to the fact that entering a duration gives you a
drum-sound that enables you to hear which duration you have entered.

Immediate Feedback ("Playback notes entered immediately" in the prefs
Pitch Entry tab, is about whether a pitch you enter is played back.

> I commented out the audio feedback
> because on midi input
??? I haven't noticed anything missing here. I am still hearing notes as
I play them on the midi keyboard.