Re: [Denemo-devel] Midi input via Fluidsynth is broken

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Midi input via Fluidsynth is broken
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:55:34 -0600

On Jan 29, 2010, at 10:05 AM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:

On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 09:51 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:

I left out the control panel on purpose. I thought it was to be left
out.

Well, it is very annoying for Nils who uses some wm that likes panes not
top level windows. For MIDI in the only bit we really need is the
enharmonic selector (there is a crude one in the Input menu below the
separator).
I would be happy for this bit of the control panel to be put in the main window, toggleable (if that is a word!), but I would not like to lose it
altogether - it is what I use, though I dream of wiring a MIDI control
(e.g. the modulation wheel) to change the enharmonic range - but you
would still want a nice display showing the enharmonic set you are
using.

Using a mod wheel to change enharmonic. whould be a very easy thing to add. I borrowed code some ifrom mportmidi that chooses sharp or flats depending on the keysignature. This is what I wired into the midiinput. Basically if the key has flats it prefers flats. If keysignature had sharps the prefernce will be for sharps. If none is set than I believe it just uses sharps. A mod wheel up can choose enharmonically spelled flats while a mod wheel up chooses enharmonically sharp notes. This is only if the note does not exist in the keysignature. Does this sound correct?

I would have to do some studying to find a way to "doc" or embed the pop up window. This GUI will be needed for the folks who don't have a mod or pitch wheel like a midi enhanced piano. Anyway this GUI is confusing to me. I thought it was only for transposing input on the fly.