Re: [Denemo-devel] Fluidsynth build

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Fluidsynth build
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 22:56:51 +0000

On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 16:33 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:

> On Oct 28, 2009, at 3:53 PM, Richard Shann <address@hidden>
> wrote:

> >> really
> >> I think it is just 4 byte messages - it was supposed to be just
> >> passing
> >> midi event from midi in to the midi out, after having intercepted and
> >> modified them - i.e. it was supposed to be the basis for midi
> >> filtering;
> >> but I think it may only deal with 4 byte events (hmm let me look -
> >> yes
> >> that's right, d-PutMidi takes an 4 byte integer and outputs it
> > Looking a bit further, in fact, despite the name d-PutMidi it drops
> > all
> > events except NOTEON which it sends to the pitchentry() routine - i.e.
> > it is simply acting as a method of entering a pitch, similar to
> > sounding
> > into a microphone.
> > I can see where the code needs changing to make this routine sound via
> > JACK or fluidsynth - I'll do this and see that it works & can check it
> > in if you would like (it's in pitchentry.c).
>

> Sure. Thanks.
Ok, I have pushed this to git. Only the rhythm feedback sounds are
routed thru portaudio. I would like to improve them but I don't think
just switching to synth piano would help much. I am not getting any
problems using fluidsynth and the portaudio routines together - I even
tried acoustic input (via microphone) with output via synth - each note
detected e.g. from a guitar, was sounded as a piano note via fluidsynth!
I don't know whether jack and portaudio would get along so well.
Oh, I should say I typed "alsa" into the preferences under fluidsynth -
we should default to something.  I don't know if this stuff will work
under windows...

Richard