[Denemo-devel] Denemo and Jack

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Denemo and Jack
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 16:13:03 +0100

I have built denemo with --enable-jack and have with Nils' help got the
midi in working very nicely with it.
I was surprised to hear that the output sounds were the synthetic ones
that I wrote for direct output via portaudio - I was expecting jack and
portaudio to have a bust up about that.
So I have started to look under the bonnet a bit. The debug situation is
very difficult, because jack fights with gdb over who is in charge (the
same happens with portaudio, of course).
Just by putting in a printf though, I can confirm that the output noises
I am hearing are indeed being directly output by the portaudio routines.
This combination is (for me) very usable - I celebrated by playing in
the prelude of Bach's third cello suite at full speed on the keyboard.

There are casualties though - most conspicuous is that the playback,
which previously was by external MIDI player is not working. I guess
that --enable-jack results in the midi out being created on disk and
then sent to jack?

My explorations are continuing...