[Denemo-devel] [bug #26515] /dev/dsp stuck open, other sound not working

From: anonymous
Subject: [Denemo-devel] [bug #26515] /dev/dsp stuck open, other sound not working, after 'play back entered notes immediately'
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 10:24:02 +0000

Follow-up Comment #1, bug #26515 (project denemo):

Original poster here following up --

I examined this problem in more depth, and it's a problem with the direct
audio output.  For some reason the sequencer doesn't work: when starting
Denemo, I get 'Cannot get info on soundcard: Invalid argument'.  So, ok,
that's why it's using /dev/dsp at all.  And I can see from looking at the code
that the behaviour is to some extent intentional - that is, the direct audio
output stream is initialized at the beginning of the program if required, and
never closed.

I worked around the problem by adding a call to stop_audio() in playback.c
just before the external midi player starts up.  I don't want to submit this
as a patch because a) it's a hideous kludge that doesn't check to see whether
it's necessary, and b) it introduces a new problem, which is that after
playback finishes, the first note you type in sounds only as a click and not
as a note, because it's doing the init_audio_out() thing again.  I haven't
grasped the program flow well enough yet to see where the right place to do
that would be.

So, in short, this is no longer a big issue for me, but my solution to it is
a bit messy.  If there's a known good way around this, or if anyone wants to
pursue it further, please let me know.

Now it's back to playing with Denemo!

Thanks,

Victoria