Re: [Denemo-devel] New website

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] New website
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 16:56:56 +0100

Nils - I think this is a good piece of work - many of the features are
things that I haven't much familiarity with, but here are some
comments...

On Sun, 2009-04-12 at 08:16 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 23:32:47 +0200 (CEST)
> address@hidden wrote:
>
> > > I like the idea of a wiki. We only have to worry about span and
> > > grafitti. I sometimes use a desktop wiki called zim. I very much
> > > like it to organize ideas.
> > >
> > > Jeremiah
> >
> > Jeremiah, Richard
> >
> > We will see what about spam when it happens.
Hmm, I think we should not regress on this: if the new website is as
open to spam as the previous one before Nils fixed it, we should apply
the fix(es) that were applied to the old one before the new one goes
live. We could wait a bit first to see if the spam starts, although
until it is announced it is less likely to be found by the spammers I
guess. I feel some sort of a duty not to let spammers succeed, even if
only briefly, as it makes a small contribution to evil.

> There are enough ways to
> > deal with it. Restricting pages, restricting only for logged-in users,
> > captchas, review and approve content by admins etc.
>
> ok.
>
> > I was more concerned if you like the system or if you like the
> > design.
It looks fine to me, but some of the links are really just placeholders:
one of my pet hates is to follow a link only to find that it doesn't
really lead anywhere useful. Also, the About page of the old site had a
useful feature that things were getting moved from ideas->planned->in
git->in release by moving them up the lists. (And of course, new
features just jumped straight in to the list if they had not been long
planned but were already implemented).
I haven't spotted where this is yet on the new site. In particular, the
"find out more" link should lead eventually to the list of features...
> I myself like it better: Better to read, it looks nicer and
> > more professional. But I also heard the wikis, in general, are more
> > unprofessionell than any other CMS.
> > I personally think thats not true, but I wanted to hear your opinion.
>
> I don't think that is necessarily true either.
>
> > I think the new page is already ready to publish. All important
> > content is there and if its our real page we will be more honest to
> > keep it up-to-date.
> >
> > Richard: Is it possible to make me a Savannah-manager? So I can change
> > the bugreport-list and use it for feature-requests also, instead of
> > the wishlist.
>
> I can do that if you like Richard.
yes please, I haven't any expertise on that stuff.
>  I won't be able to do it until
> tonight or tomorrow morning though.
>
> > We have to look how we keep notes and nice ideas now, but it should be
> > very easy. There is already a "To-Do" list article, which I used to
> > remember the website to-do's.
>
> Will users be able to perform a search? Maybe a user remembers reading
> about line breaks but does not remember where she saw the tutorial,
> faq, or whatever.
>
> > Jeremiah, I personally use zim for everything and anything. You can
> > even use it on remote filesystems but local clients. Very good tool.
>
> I never used this on remote file systems before. What is the benefit of
> that?
>

> > So if you both give me your ok I will change the new site to the
> > official site, after a few tweaks (like the default-logo :)) of
> > course.
> And of course the old page will be still avaible for an
> > unlimited time, only hidden.
>
> I say sure. Once you have the new page updated with all the same
> content.
I think it needs a bit more work not to be a step backward in some
respects. I can see how the wiki idea can help the site improve without
becoming a great tangle of old stuff grafted onto new. Perhaps the
source code of Denemo should be a wiki (I think I am joking).
Richard