[Denemo-devel] A Good Idea

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] A Good Idea
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 10:48:01 +0000

At the moment, we have an action in Denemo labelled Edit Directives
which runs a script from  the directory actions/editscripts whose name
corresponds with the tag of a directive that is at the cursor. The
script, of course, is designed to edit the directive. Usually it has a
series of choices as to what to edit, which it knows about and offers to
the user.

It occurs to me that we can have some further actions, eg
DirectiveToggle which would run the same script but with the choice of
what the edit script should do already set (to "toggle" in this case).

What is the point? Some directives will be doing things which you will
wish to turn off without completely removing the directive (e.g. to make
it easy to turn it back on). The example I have in mind is Nils' one of
a staff which is not to print out. With a suitable staff directive we
could do this, and it could display a graphic to indicate its status.
When you click on it and select toggle it would be edited to turn off,
and display a different graphic. Another example would be mute/unmute
for MIDI output.

To implement this, the C-code could define a scheme variable,
OptionChoice, say, at the top level which scripts could use to decide
whether to offer the menu of their choices or to go direct to the choice
that the C-code has defined. This same C-code would set OptionChoice to
#f at the end so that further edits would proceed normally. (Peering
further into the murk, we might want to associate the variable with the
tag name, so that one script could call another perhaps).

One thing that could be usefully developed to support this would be
choosing amongst several staff directives depending on the mouse click
relative to the graphic position - this all needs designing and doing,
ouputting a graphic for a staff directive...