Re: [Denemo-devel] Midi-status

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Midi-status
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 10:27:09 +0000

On Fri, 2009-03-13 at 00:44 +0100, Nils Gey wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 21:28:22 +0000
> Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 22:11 +0100, Nils Gey wrote:
> > > I reommend to get rid of support for people without jack. Not for
> > > complete Denemo, but for the audio-part. Then --enable-jack can be the
> > > standard.
> > ??? I don't get jack midi with my Debian system. But I use the audio
> > output all the time. I use it for the feedback from pressing keys on the
> > MIDI keyboard and for sounds when I enter durations.
> > Richard
>
> How do you insert midi without jackmidi? With OSS?
I *think* that MIDI out is done via /dev/sequencer - I forget really.
However I don't use MIDI out at the moment, just audio out using the
portaudio. I have used it - it does work - but I have no use for it, and
I have forgotten exactly what you do to get it (soemthing to do with
Timidity I think).

None of this should impact HAVE_JACK development: it *must* be trivial
to turn off the portaudio stuff when HAVE_JACK is defined. I can't test
it so I am not the person to do it, but I can find the place it that is
a problem.

> According to Debian there is 0.116.1 avaible as package. Is that you're
> version?
version of what? e.g. I have libjack0.101.1-2-dev
and other things with jack in the name, always the latest version (as
reported by synaptic). I recall trying to install jackmidi but giving up
because of an interminable dependency chain. I don't really understand
all this package stuff...
> What is your kernel-version?
Again, it is the latest (I have been taking the updates, after starting
with a netinst of Debian Etch).
> Does anything show up in QJackCtls "ALSA" tab?
>
> The audio-output is a different thing. I suggest to switch audio to jack, too.
Fixing something that ain't broke is naturally going to be low priority
- as I say, not starting portaudio if HAVE_JACK is defined will be a
trivial change.
Also I suspect that portaudio is much more reliable as cross platform
library - it's been around a long time. I guess the Windows Denemo will
be using it for quite some while, even if everything we want in terms of
audio feedback becomes available via Jack on linux.
Richard