Re: [Denemo-devel] I got JackMidi output working

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] I got JackMidi output working
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 09:32:25 +0000

That's good news. I have been thinking that we should replace the
current staff prolog and score prolog structures with lists of
DenemoDirective: this would allow a uniform interface for a script to
modify, say, the title of the piece, without disturbing other settings.
At present, you can have a custom prolog, but then Denemo cannot be used
to change anything in it, it is just a block.
Why this is relevant to MIDI out is that the DenemoDirectives should
have a MIDI section, and so a Directive in the StaffProlog would be the
place to store an instruction about which output port to use.
For the user's understanding I think we can display the prolog
information at sensible places in the Denemo display (with the option of
hiding it when the user is concentrating on entering music and wants the
maximum screen space). So the directives controlling the Title, composer
etc would appear in a pane above the music, and with the
DenemoDirective's display facilities can be made to display itself as
the user might wish - and indeed could allow tweaking of the LilyPond
print-out.
More interesting, the directives applying to the staff could be placed
at the start of the music (before the first clef), so that if, for
example, a staff had the "small" directive applied to it (the one that
makes the staff appear smaller in the print-out, as in the solo above a
piano accompaniment) then this directive would be visible before the
staff, could be navigated to & edited.
And so also with MIDI information, the directives would appear where it
makes sense, and the user could navigate to and edit them in an obvious
fashion.
BTW I recall writing up a suggestion for how Denemo could store a sort
of MIDI-track parallel to the Denemo music data in a score, so that
playback would be just shovelling the data from that track to the MIDI
out. Did you implement this, or are you creating the MIDI data from the
Denemo data on the fly?

Richard