Re: [Denemo-devel] Portaudio

From: Nils Gey
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Portaudio
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 13:17:11 +0100

> > Will it be replaced by a generic JACK-in some day?
> I don't yet really understand what JACK-in is. What we have at the
> moment in Denemo (I think) is jack-midi in, which would not perform the
> same functions. I say, "I think" because it is not yet in my Debian
> distribution, so I have not yet had a chance to try it.
>
> Richard

Jack is not in the Distribution? Its called the jack-audio-connection-kit
sometimes. This is really a standard package.

Basically Jack is for Audio what Jackmidi is for midi. You can route your audio
latency-free from any application to any. Jack is an audio-sever so the plus is
you don't rely on drivers (portaudio, alsa etc.) and your program, Denemo, has
nothing to do with providing direct audio-support, which is genereally a good
thing.

In this particular case its: Denemo creates a Jack-port on startup, if it finds
JACK running, and then you can connect any audio-source (microfon, any other
programms) to Denemo and let it process the audio, like checking the pitch.
The other way around is that Denemo creates a Jack-output and can output its
audio-feedback to any destination, the hardware/speakers of course but also
recording programs or any other.

With Jack and Jackmidi Denemo would be completly independent from any driver
level and truly crossplatform and opens the way for fancy-future-stuff like
adding a sampler/syth right in denemo and distribute it with nice-sounding
soundfonts for the instrument (basically take the fluidsynth-lib or any other
and integrate it into Denemo)

Nils