Windows Version Problem, was Re: [Denemo-devel] Next release

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Windows Version Problem, was Re: [Denemo-devel] Next release
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 09:37:03 +0000

On Mon, 2008-12-29 at 23:34 +0100, Nils Gey wrote:
> And here it comes.
> Windows seems to be a strange thing. I tested this and that and here is the
> output.
>
> I have done a clean windows xp install, with a VM. I then installed Denemo
> and tried to start it (twice) but it will not work, only the icon display.
> Without further analyses or steps I reboot, start Denemo again, click away
> the Icon-Message, wait a few seconds and there it is.
> No copied dlls, no tricks, nothing.
The interesting question would be in the first clean install case, what
path is the program taking to get to exit()?
It may be exiting for the same reason as on a real Windows OS, and in
that case we can find out why the program fails sometimes on windows os.

>From your previous work on the Windows OS it seems it is exiting, and
apparently doing so with a return code of zero. My guess is that the
environment variable GUILE_LOAD_PATH is not working properly, and
libguile is making the error of doing exit(0) when it cannot find the
its initialization code in that path (it should exit(nonzero)).
But that is most likely wrong, as would any guess be at the moment...
After all, I have seen libguile emit a message when this happens, and I
presume you do not see such a message?
Bring on gdb.