Re: [Denemo-devel] denemo out-of-sync with latest lilypond (version 2.11

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] denemo out-of-sync with latest lilypond (version 2.11.57)?
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 16:40:25 +0000

On Thu, 2008-12-04 at 10:44 +0100, Nils Gey wrote:
> A few weeks ago I mailed with the lilypond people to get Denemo on
> their Webpages. They said they like Denemo even though they prefer to
> write in plain text (no wonder, since these are the core developers).
>
> More important is, that they said that the Ly syntax will change with
> the next release and they hope we can catch up. I don't know if this
> is 2.11.57 but if it is, it would be the explanation.
It is generally quite easy for us to catch up with LilyPond releases,
but we don't do it because we know that people will generally have older
releases (Debian is at 2.8.7), and they will be unable to use Denemo to
print music in that case. Instead, we rely on the convert-ly utility
which LilyPond releases with each new release, which converts the
LilyPond we generate to the latest syntax. So people with new and old
LilyPond installations can get their print-outs.
In practice, we use only the simplest syntax in Denemo, so we don't get
problems anyway. But there have been occasions when convert-ly has been
unable to cope, and when we have changed Denemo.