Re: [Denemo-devel] install on Win XP / denemo does not display any scree

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] install on Win XP / denemo does not display any screen
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 17:25:43 +0100

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 14:58 +0100, Baré Wiily sprl wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> One more information:
> I have cleaned up the winxp registery keys using Glary Utilities; (I
> lloked at errors details and saw one related to Denemo);
> aftrwds I ran Denemo; getting still again the same results and error
> report;
> again cleaned up registery and got just one error which screenshot is
> attached herewith: it is said (I translate from french)
> " that registery key contains a reference to Denemo start menu which
> has been moved or suppressed";
> I pressed "repair errors";
> again I ran Denemo; aftrwds ran Glary Utilities for cleaning win xp
?do you mean you ran denemo.exe or InstallDenemo.exe?
>  registeries; and I got the same only one error;
>
> Could this help?

That is very curious: the Denemo installation does not touch the
registry.
It just copies files to c:/program files/denemo
it does not even offer to create a menu item, set the path or anything
as I recall.
Maybe we should be thinking about the possibility that your
InstallDenemo.exe has been altered by something after being downloaded.
In principle, you could test for this by running the fingerprint thing
(although, theoretically, once your machine is compromised nothing is
sure). I guess the command is
gpg --verify InstallDenemo.exe
but you would need gpg running on windows to do that. Otherwise download
on a trusted machine, write-protect (e.g. CD-ROM) and then compare the
files byte by byte.