[Denemo-devel] install on Win XP / denemo does not display any screen

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] install on Win XP / denemo does not display any screen
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 13:56:23 +0100

(from Charlie on the bug tracker):

> 0.7.9 version (aug 2008) has been installed.
> Where can I find a newer version?
Nothing newer has been built for Windows: it will require the Guile
library, I haven't started to look into it yet. For Unix you can build
from git.

> dlls are in c:\windows\system\
I would guess that those are ones belonging to the system; I don't know
whether it is recommended to add others in there.

> Does a newer version of dlls exist in
> c:\Program Files\Denemo\bin\

What I expect is that newer versions of ones that LilyPond has installed
are there. LilyPond puts its dlls somewhere under c:/program
files/LilyPond
I think (another place where they may be would be under c:/program
files/common files)

> Do I have to compare both subdirectories to find the dll which is
> common, aftwdrs verify version date, and put the newer in ...\system\
> subdirectory?

probably best to start with doing a search for something in the denemo
dlls like the gtk or glib dlls to find which ones you have twice, and
where.

> Must Lilypond have been already installed before Denemo or what?
It would make no difference

> (Did not find explanations about how to install on winxp)
I am not knowledgeable about windows, you are pioneering here.

> Do I have to look which PATH windows starts Lilypond?
This question indicates that you need to read about environment
variables and the PATH environment variable in particular. In brief (at
least on Unix) the PATH is a list of places in the file system where
executable programs will be looked for.

> Windows uses dlls present in c:\windows\system\, does not it?
I think it looks for dlls in the PATH.

> I do not understand "putting Denemo .dlls" in that PATH?
I am not really familiar with setting the PATH in windows, one way is
something like

set %PATH% = c:\windows\system;c:\others...

typed into the command line interface (aka Dos box on windows). But
there are graphical interfaces (and something called regedit I think).

> in the download area I noticed InstallDenemo.exe.sig.
> What is .sig extension (also present for linux download files).
> Is it an integrity verification code like checksum code?
Yes

> How to use it?
You need to look up GPG (gnu privacy guard) to find out about this - but
don't bother, it is unlikely in the extreme that any problem you have is
because of people maliciously tampering with the file. Such people would
not go for something of interest only to such a tiny number of people!
And what you are reporting are familiar symptoms of multiple dlls
present in the filesystem, installed by different programs.