[Denemo-devel] Initial Clef - Transposing: How do I ... / Why does Denem

From: Nils Gey
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Initial Clef - Transposing: How do I ... / Why does Denemo...
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 02:00:10 +0200

Hello,

today I wrote a piece for mens choir. 2 tenors, 2 basses. After finishing the
two Tenors I noticed that I used the normal treble/violin clef instead of the
octava bassa, which is used for tenor-voices normally. So everything looked
fine, except the little "8" in the clef was missing, and it sounded one octave
to high in the sound output of Denemo.

"No problem" I thought and changed the initial clef to octava bassa. But Denemo
now shifts all notes up one octave so it sounds the same as before, which is
the opposite of what I wanted and expected.

Why does Denemo transpose this automatically? Me, the composer, is responsible
in which clef I put noteheads on the lines. If I want to change from treble to
bass clef but want the noteheads to stay on the same lines its not possible
atm, I think.

So how do I do that? Changing clef and keep/restore the orginal positions of
the noteheads?
Is there a way to tranpose a complete staff/voice? Actually not transposing but
shifting. Or my feature-wish to shift a selection up and down. Or change the
behaviour that the clef is not related to the position of the noteheads at all
to the moment where you want to hear a sound. So if I change the clef the notes
stay on their position but have a different meaning. (This is what I would
prefer).

I know its feature freeze but I wanted to write this down.

Nils