Re: [Denemo-devel] denemo.org

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] denemo.org
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 12:16:29 -0500

On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 17:23 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 10:33 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> > I noticed that denemo.org is not registered. Do you guys think this
> > would be useful to register this? I have a linode that I can use to host
> > it. What do you think? Will it help to promote denemo?
> It certainly would, though it presumably would cost a small amount and
> until we get the message out there that Denemo doesn't crash like it
> used to, and that you can use it to edit seriously complex scores I
> don't expect a Donate button would yield anything (something you
> mentioned before).

Ok. I registered the domain. I will host it on my linode soon. Link to
it via savannah etc ... It was only $15 for a 1 year registration at
Gandi.net.

> > I assume if we
> > get it up and running and put content on it then it should be the first
> > to pop up in a google search.
> Well, I wouldn't count on that - google keeps moving the goalposts to
> stop people manipulating the ratings. At the moment there are a lot more
> references to the sourceforge site out there on the net, and until that
> changes the confusion will continue.
> I think we are already moving up the ratings, on google.com we are
> fourth, on google.co.uk we are third and on google.fr we are second to
> sourceforge. (These data are are a bit dubious because the google site
> seems to respond to where you are hosted, and to the language of the
> search query - e.g. whether the query is
> http://www.google.fr/search?hl=fr&q=denemo&btnG=Recherche+Google&meta=
> or
> http://www.google.fr/search?hl=en&q=denemo&btnG=Google+Search&meta=
> ). But it would undoubtedly help to have more sites that point out that
> the sourceforge site being static doesn't mean Denemo is not going
> places. It would probably be useful not to put a link to sourceforge,
> but just a reference to its being out of date - every link boosts the
> sourceforge site rating. (And, of course, we should remove the link from
> the gnu site, replacing it with a warning about the sourceforge site
> being out of date and orphaned).
> What is your attitude towards windows builds?

I think windows builds are a good idea. I don't have any computers
running windows so I can't test or build them. I have an Mac laptop I
could theoretically create osX builds but my version of OsX is very
obsolete (version 10.2).

> As you know I see it as a
> way of getting Denemo tested, and even getting developers, but I assume
> the gnu folks would not like to host a windows binary, as this would
> constitute promoting a non-free operating system.

Its free software though. I would have to look to at their policies. I
can host it on my linode.

> Would you wish to host
> the windows binary? I'm quite happy if you do not - I have some
> reservations promoting non-free software, however indirectly.
> The other thing we should really do is clone the Sourceforge Denemo as
> Denemo II, or Denemo Lives! or some such and link it to the gnu site -
> sourceforge are currently hosting an ancient windows binary. That way,
> someone searching on sourceforge under music software or under Denemo
> will see the Denemo Lives! project as well.

Are talking about a webpage title?....Or a news head line kind of thing.