Re: [Denemo-devel] denemo.org

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] denemo.org
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 17:23:50 +0100

On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 10:33 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> I noticed that denemo.org is not registered. Do you guys think this
> would be useful to register this? I have a linode that I can use to host
> it. What do you think? Will it help to promote denemo?
It certainly would, though it presumably would cost a small amount and
until we get the message out there that Denemo doesn't crash like it
used to, and that you can use it to edit seriously complex scores I
don't expect a Donate button would yield anything (something you
mentioned before).
> I assume if we
> get it up and running and put content on it then it should be the first
> to pop up in a google search.
Well, I wouldn't count on that - google keeps moving the goalposts to
stop people manipulating the ratings. At the moment there are a lot more
references to the sourceforge site out there on the net, and until that
changes the confusion will continue.
I think we are already moving up the ratings, on google.com we are
fourth, on google.co.uk we are third and on google.fr we are second to
sourceforge. (These data are are a bit dubious because the google site
seems to respond to where you are hosted, and to the language of the
search query - e.g. whether the query is
http://www.google.fr/search?hl=fr&q=denemo&btnG=Recherche+Google&meta=
or
http://www.google.fr/search?hl=en&q=denemo&btnG=Google+Search&meta=
). But it would undoubtedly help to have more sites that point out that
the sourceforge site being static doesn't mean Denemo is not going
places. It would probably be useful not to put a link to sourceforge,
but just a reference to its being out of date - every link boosts the
sourceforge site rating. (And, of course, we should remove the link from
the gnu site, replacing it with a warning about the sourceforge site
being out of date and orphaned).
What is your attitude towards windows builds? As you know I see it as a
way of getting Denemo tested, and even getting developers, but I assume
the gnu folks would not like to host a windows binary, as this would
constitute promoting a non-free operating system. Would you wish to host
the windows binary? I'm quite happy if you do not - I have some
reservations promoting non-free software, however indirectly.
The other thing we should really do is clone the Sourceforge Denemo as
Denemo II, or Denemo Lives! or some such and link it to the gnu site -
sourceforge are currently hosting an ancient windows binary. That way,
someone searching on sourceforge under music software or under Denemo
will see the Denemo Lives! project as well.