[Denemo-devel] Tuning musical instruments with denemo

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Tuning musical instruments with denemo
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 18:18:20 +0000

You may remember that I floated the possibility of throwing in a
facility for tuning musical instruments using the pitch recognition
software. You may have been disappointed to find that the pitches
returned by the aubio routines are too crude for serious use. Well, I
finally got fed up with booting up a windows box just to tune my
harpsichord that I've spliced some routines from the pedigree
accordeur-Dan's Tuner-audacity into denemo and the result outperforms
everything else that I know of. The aubio routine detects that there is
a note and the new stuff measures the pitch of the peak near the
detection frequency.
I've a little more to do on the selecting temperaments and the display
and I'll create a patch for this. It only involves pitchentry.c,
pitchrecog.c and audiocapture.c so it need not create any disturbance to
other work.