Re: [Denemo-devel] Current State of Menus

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Current State of Menus
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 17:18:51 +0000

On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 00:53 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 07:07 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-10-15 at 14:47 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> > > I've done a little survey of the current state of the menu system
> > > (below). As it has grown like topsy, it is in a fairly illogical state,
> > > and could do with an overhaul.
> > > One overall comment is that there are quite a few hardwired shortcuts.
>
> What is your opinion of having import be a sub-menu under file. Then for
> each file type being separate menu items instead of throwing everything
> into open? I thought of placing File New, New window, New from template
> into a sub-menu of New. Import would look like this:
>
> File->Import  ->Midi
>               ->ly
>               ->(possible other plugin filters go here)
>
> The same would go for an export sub-menu:
>
> File->Export  ->Midi
>               ->Csound
>               ->Ly
>               ->abc
>               ->dnm
>               ->(possible other plugin filters go here)
>

> If we don't have a File->Export menu we might want to consider adding a
> "save by extension option". Then possibly make this the default. Or
I think it does save by extension already. If you give the name with .ly
extension I think it saves in ly format.
Generally, export should be used for things like pdf which can't be read
back in. Save is used for things which can be read back in, with
possibly a warning if some information (e.g. bookmarks) might be lost.

> perhaps the default can be set in preferences.
Yes.  The subject of prefops.c's use of a GktTable hasn't been resolved
- if there is no intention to access the elements using arithmetic I
think we should replace it with a vbox, so that adding new prefs
requires just adding another widget to the vbox at a suitable position.
(Sorry to be picky!)

> There also needs to a way to switch voices using the menu or gui. It is
> not clear to me how to go back and forth between voices on a single
> staff.
Very definitely, I haven't used the feature, but it has never worked as
far as I know.