Re: [Denemo-devel] Current State of Menus

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Current State of Menus
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 00:53:23 -0500

On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 07:07 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-10-15 at 14:47 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> > I've done a little survey of the current state of the menu system
> > (below). As it has grown like topsy, it is in a fairly illogical state,
> > and could do with an overhaul.
> > One overall comment is that there are quite a few hardwired shortcuts.

What is your opinion of having import be a sub-menu under file. Then for
each file type being separate menu items instead of throwing everything
into open? I thought of placing File New, New window, New from template
into a sub-menu of New. Import would look like this:

File->Import    ->Midi
                ->ly
                ->(possible other plugin filters go here)

The same would go for an export sub-menu:

File->Export    ->Midi
                ->Csound
                ->Ly
                ->abc
                ->dnm
                ->(possible other plugin filters go here)

If we don't have a File->Export menu we might want to consider adding a
"save by extension option". Then possibly make this the default. Or
perhaps the default can be set in preferences.

There also needs to a way to switch voices using the menu or gui. It is
not clear to me how to go back and forth between voices on a single
staff.