ddd

ddd and python

From: R. Bernstein
Subject: ddd and python
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 07:11:35 -0500

Recently I've been looking into extending the python debugger, pdb.py.
For my intial observations, see my recent post to he compl.lan.python
newsgroup:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/90cbcd03f37294a1/59cf35f3ae2925dd?lnk=st&q=rocky%40panix.com+pdb.py&rnum=1#59cf35f3ae2925dd

In addition, it looks to me like using DDD as a front end to the
current (e.g. version 2.4.2) python debugger pdb.py is a bit
broken. Are folks using ddd to debug python?

So I've been considering a two-fold project. First extending pdb.py
and second adding support for the current pdb.py(s) into ddd.

But the easiest and nicest thing for me would be to somehow add either
pdb.py or patches to pdb.py to the ddd distribution until such time as
this would get into mainstream python.

Given the lack of response (positive or negative) in the newsgroup
mentioned above and lack of reponse to the patch I've already
submitted to the sourceforge patch manager for python

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1393667&group_id=5470&atid=305470

my guess is that getting pdb.py updated officially might not all be
that rapid.

Thoughts and comments?