ddd

Re: Opening application files in DDD 3.3.10

From: Andrew Gaylard
Subject: Re: Opening application files in DDD 3.3.10
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 16:57:35 +0200

Jerry Stahl wrote:
DDD Team,

I currently have a compiled verion of DDD 3.3.10 on a
PC running Fedora Core 3.  I have an application that
has source files located across adjacent directories,
e.g.,

Project/Component/Sources, Project/ComponentX/Sources,
Project/ComponentY/Sources.

For simplicity, the project executable is in
Project/Component/bin.
When I load the project executable, the only source
files I see in the File->"Open Source" window are
those under Project/Component/Sources in addition to
some various standard library source files regardless
of where DDD is started.

The questions I have are:

** Is there a way to setup DDD to show all of the
project source files somehow in the sources window ?

No.  But why would you want to? -- As you step through the
program, or as it hits breakpoints, the correct source
file will be displayed.

** Is it possible to set breakpoints in several
different files at one time in the debugger prior to
running the program executable or after it is loaded
into the debugger ?

Yes.  If you're using gdb, you can either:

        b fileA.c:32
        b fileB.c:45
or
        b your_func_somewhere

Please note that I have tried setting the "Search path
for source files" under GDB settings, but this does
not seem to work or save the new setting. I have also
tried setting the sources path using a .gdbinit file
with no success at all. "$cdir:$cwd" seems to be the
forced default even if this path setting is
over-ridden in the .gdbinit file (not sure if this is
causing a problem).

This shouldn't be necessary.  Recent GCCs will include the
full path to the source file into the debugging data, and
gdb (and hence DDD) will find it.

Any help you can provide on this would be greatly
appreciated.

J.S.