ddd

Re: problems attaching to a process running in sparc-Solaris 8

From: Andrew Gaylard
Subject: Re: problems attaching to a process running in sparc-Solaris 8
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 19:41:17 +0200

Vince Goh wrote:
Hi Andrew,
   Thanks for the response.  I am using gdb version 4.16
(sparc-sun-solaris2.5).  Let me correct myself, the debugger was able to
attach but the breakpoints don't work.  This operation works when I compile
my PLI code in static mode where there is an executable.  Also I am unable
to use "sharedlibrary libpli.so" in the command line to load my output dll
file during the time the simulation ran in the attached process.  It seems
this version does not support loading of shared libraries?

The following sequence was performed:

1.   Started up my simulation.
2.   Started up DDD within the same localhost.
3.   Selected "Load program" in the "file" menu to load my dll, "Libpli.so".
4.   Selected "Open source" to load my source file under debug.
5.   Set breakpoint at point of interest.
6.   Attched to process using the "attach to process" entry in the "file"
menu.
7.   Type "sharedlibraries libpli" at command line.
     At this point, "info shared" shows "No shared library is attached".
8.   Type "run" to continue running the simulation.

Simulation ended with the debugger NOT breaking at breakpoint.

If you could shed some light, I 'll appreciate.

This may be a problem with gdb -- 4.16 is quite old, and some of
the older ones did have problems with shared libraries.

If you use gdb stand-alone, does the operation work?
If not, then this is a gdb issue.

Andrew.