ddd

Remote perl debugging?

From: Jack Ellis
Subject: Remote perl debugging?
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 13:03:29 -0700

Hi,

I am new to ddd so forgive me if this is obvious, but I am stuck.  I am trying to debug a perl script on a remote machine. Both machines have perl, only my local machine is running X.  Remote is freeBSD, local is Mac OSX.  I am using ssh, which seems to be connecting fine. I get the usual motd etc from the remote machine in the ddd log.  My mac is running Apple’s X11 distribution, which is supposedly “standard Xfree86”.

I start it up with the command
    ddd –rhost remote.com /home/jacke/t.pl
Where /home/jacke is the path to the script on the remote.

My lower (‘command’?) window displays the perl debugger, which I can interact with normally, stepping through the script.  However, I don’t know if this db session is local or remote... Mainly though, nothing is displayed in the main window, nor can I access data through ddd but can by the usual db commands (p $x  etc.) in the command window.  The buttons for stepping, etc. don’t work either.

I have edited the .ddd/init file for ssh, that seems to be working and connecting fine.

Can someone let me know what I’m doing wrong?
Jack