ddd

Re: Compiling Problem DDD 3.3.1 + gcc 3.2

From: Pierre Habraken
Subject: Re: Compiling Problem DDD 3.3.1 + gcc 3.2
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 15:46:34 +0200

Pierre Habraken wrote:
> [...]
> I too met same sort of trouble when trying to build it either under
> Linux (RH 7.1 + gcc 3.2) or Solaris 8 (+ gcc 3.2). It also failed with
> gcc 2.95...

...but it did succeed with gcc 2.8.1 + libstdc++-2.8.1.1.
Conclusion : you have to maintain gcc 2.8.1 together with ddd if you
want to be able to re-build it...

It's really a pity that no one can any longer maintain ddd !
At the University of Grenoble we have been using it for several years as
a basic tool in a lot of teaching modules.
Beyond its primary use as a powerful graphical debugger, this is also a
tool that the students use for observing and understanding algorithms
execution, assembly language learning etc.
To my knowledge there is at that time no equivalent open source
alternative to ddd. So, I hope some people or organisation will resume
the development of ddd...

Pierre
Pierre HABRAKEN - mailto:address@hidden
Tél: 04 76 82 72 83 - Fax: 04 76 82 72 87
IMAG-LSR BP72 38402 SAINT MARTIN D'HERES Cedex