ddd

Re: message explanation

From: Andrew Lees
Subject: Re: message explanation
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 20:02:17 +1100

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002 01:10, you wrote:
> Hi,
> I received the following message during a ddd session:
>
> Watchpoint 3 deleted because the program has left the block in which its
> expression is valid.
> 0xfeas1ed9c in Vos_Mutex_Acquire () from
> /tools/opnet.../sun_sparc_solaris/lib/libopvos.so
>
> What does this mean? Did me program enter an invalid area? Am I leaking
> memory? How do I avoid this?
> Thanks in advance for your help,
> Elliot

You have set a watchpoint on a variable that has gone out of scope, and since
the variable may not exist the watchpoint gets deleted.  Often not what one
wants, but there is a way around the problem.

Simply print the address of the variable to be watched, and you will get a
$<n> variable assignment, which is not scoped.  Then watch *$<n>, and if it's
a simple variable you get a hardware watchpoint that doesn't go out of scope.
 You may need to manually disable/delete the watchpoint prior to starting
again as the memory being accessed may be non-existant, but thats easy.

Hope that helps.

Andy Lees.