ddd

Re: building/running on cygwin?

From: Mike Davies
Subject: Re: building/running on cygwin?
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 13:43:31 -0000

> Obviousely you are trying to start a flame here.

No I promise that was my last post about ADA  :-)

> So I assume that you've already made changes/additions to DDD if you are
> already thinking about this possibility.

Well,  not yet.  I have been looking for a GUI debugger that works with GDB.
I expect that I will want to make changes in the future and I want to make
the best investment in time as possible.  For this reason I'd prefer to
stick to a language I already know and also one that has lots of freely
available library code available.  C/C++ meets the bill as far as I'm
concerned so ddd looks good for that reason.

To turn your question about GVD around,  I wondered what is your opinion
about using a portable GUI library to implement the ddd user interfaces ?

I know there is a GUI library called wxwindows (www.wxwindows.org) available
that is supposed to run on Unix/X/Motif as well as u$ Windows.   Do you have
any idea how much work it would be to refactor ddd to use this ?  It would
very likely improve the performance under NT,  I don't know what the
implications under Unix would be.  Apparently Wxwindows also works on the
Mac so it would give a free port to that too if it's of any interest.

Mike