dctc-general

Re: [Dctc-general] dctc generates nonadopted zombies

From: eric
Subject: Re: [Dctc-general] dctc generates nonadopted zombies
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 15:21:30 +0100

Hi,

> Im having problem with dcgui2, dctc and dctc_master under
> linux-2.6.0-test9. The thing is that somehow dcgui2 (or if the problem is
> in dctc) creates lots of zombie (defunct) processes that are not beeing
> adopted by init and read. There has to be some coding error in either
> gcgui2 or dctc that creates those processes.

A zombie cannot be adopted, he is dead :) its parent has 3 ways to purge it
from the system:
- manually, by catching the SIGCHLD signal (a.k.a. SIGCLD)
- automatically, by setting the SIGCHLD handler to ignore it (SIG_IGN)
- automatically, by dying. If the parent dies, the parent of the parent has to
choose one of the 3 ways and if no parent exist, "init" does the job.

both DCTC and dc_gui2 uses the second way using the function set_sig() in
main.c then there is no problem there. The problem is elsewhere but not
within DCTC/dc_gui2 (I will have seen the zombies after 1 month uptime).

Eric