Re: enhancement request: ls option to output column headings

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: enhancement request: ls option to output column headings
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 16:20:42 +0000

On 22/03/2023 12:39, Bob Power via GNU coreutils General Discussion wrote:
Hi,
Lots of questions online asking what the various columns output by ls are and
ultimately it seems ls...

does not print headingsdoes not offer an option to print headingsdoes not doc
what the columns areand
what is output and in what order varies with the software version, options
used, and possibly distribution.

I've resorted to comparing the output with output from the stat command to
figure it out.I've even considered replacing it with a bash script along the
lines of  \ls -1 | xargs -n1 stat --printf='%B*%b %n\n' etc so I can determine
and output the headings.

It'd be nice if ls had a command line option to output column headings (leave
the default as is so as not to break existing scripts)
Looks like it hasn't changed in 10 yrs or so. With linux maturing/becoming more
attractive the way it is and alternatives getting uglier maybe an update is in
order.
Cheers,
Bob.

Yes this has some merit,
especially since it's awkward to achieve with `column` due to whitespace in
names, dates etc.

cheers,
Pádraig