Re: Lint-related patches for coreutils

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: Lint-related patches for coreutils
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 14:14:20 +0000

On 01/02/2022 06:20, Paul Eggert wrote:
On 1/31/22 13:48, Pádraig Brady wrote:
src/expr.c: In function 'single_binary_main_expr':
error: function might be candidate for attribute 'noreturn'

OK, thanks, running in single-binary found some other issues too, plus
one actual-albeit-minor memory leak in df that wasn't found with a
normal build presumably due to memory layout differences.

I installed the attached to fix the problems I found. The last patch
should fix the diagnostic you mentioned.

Looks good here.

I've never really gotten the point of why commit messages should start
with 'maint:' vs 'shred:' vs whatever. If it were up to me, I'd remove
the requirement that commit messages start with those prefixes, as that
requirement consumes valuable space in the commit message's first line,
space that can often be put to better purposes. In the meantime I'll try
to remember your suggestion to use 'maint:' a lot, though I admit I
didn't quite get there with the attached patch batch.

There is merit I think in the <context>: .... form,
mainly for others quickly scanning changes.
I would certainly appreciate such a summary when
scanning other repos, which I do very often as part of day job.

thanks,
Pádraig